Advice on what to do when displaying COVID-19 symptoms
Here you will find a compact summary of how to respond responsibly and efficiently.
Displaying symptoms of a coronavirus infection
Should you display symptoms such as coughing, fever and/or breathing difficulties, do the following without delay:
- 1. Stay at home, in self-isolation. Avoid any contact to others outside your household and observe general hygiene standards.
- 2. Get in touch with your general practitioner or the Gesundheitsamt (public health department) by phone to discuss how to proceed.
- 3. Inform your supervisor immediately. You will need a certificate for sick leave from your physician 8 days into your sick leave. Please submit this certificate electronically.
- 4. Make a list of all people you have been in closer contact with (starting 2 days prior to displaying first symptoms of sickness).
Potential contacts at risk
Currently, COVID-19 testing takes place under very strict conditions. Such testing is recommended if:
- You had contact with a positively tested person in the last 14 days.
- You either just returned from an area with extremely high numbers of COVID-19 infected people or you live in such an area.
- You already suffer from underlying respiratory health conditions which have worsened.
- You have been in contact with groups at risk (due to honorary work, for instance, at a nursing home, etc.).
Should any one of the options mentioned above apply, please contact your general practitioner or the public health department immediately.
There is no need to inform colleagues, until you test positive for COVID-19.
Should you test positive and, thus, your coronavirus infection be confirmed, advise your supervisor immediately and send a brief message to email@example.com. Your general practitioner will inform you of the required steps.
As a rule in case of a potential infection with COVID-19, your general practitioner and the testing laboratory will have to report this to the public health department. The public health department will then identify the contact persons (including your workplace) and will inform them directly.
Proactive hygiene measures
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly (with soap, water and for at least 20 seconds).
- Cough and sneeze into paper tissues or your bend arm only.
- Discard your paper tissues after use immediately in a dustbin/garbage can.
- Do not shake hands, embrace/hug or cheek kiss.
- Do not touch your mouth, nose or eyes (particularly after having touched door handles, objects etc.).
- Clean and/or disinfect your mobile devices (such as mobile phone, tablet, laptop etc.) regularly.
- Do not share your cutlery/silverware and drinking glasses with others.
- Avoid crowds at all times.