Residence Title

For entry and purpose of residency, foreigners are generally required to obtain a residence title.

Residence titles issued by a German mission abroad (embassy) before entry are called visas. After entry or following the expiration of the visa, the visa must then be changed into a residence permit. The residence permit is applied for at the responsible foreigner’s office depending on the registered address of the student or researcher.

A residence permit consists of an electronic residence title (eAt, small card similar to an identity card) and, if necessary, an additional sheet with extended clauses. If there is a supplementary sheet, it will be noted on the electronic residence permit (eAt).

Important: For all processes for which the eAt is required at TU Darmstadt (hiring, extension of employment contract, etc.), both must always be submitted, if available.

Welcome Centre website